15 Tips to Making More Telephone Appointments, More Often
So we all hate having to make telephone appointments, it’s a pretty thankless task at the best of times, but if you learn your craft well, at least you will be out there getting appointments and making things happen. Just remember, if you sell a product worth say 5000 pounds, and it takes you 100 rejections to get that sale, then each of those rejections is worth £50.00. If you were paid £50.00 just for getting a NO each time, you’d be on that phone day and night wouldn’t you?
These tips are just a few of the many hundreds I could write from my 17 years experience of cold calling and appointment making. Nothing happens without a sale.
1. Be absolutely clear why you are making the call, establish in advance what it is you want to happen, structure the questions around that outcome, remember – sell the appointment, not the product!
2. Basic politeness, not false, if you enjoy people, it shows, try to enjoy yourself, you are a specialist in one of life’s most noble professions. be courteous, no matter what’s going on at the other end, you are the professional, prove it.
3. Keep good records! So many telephone marketers lose the plot because they just can’t remember where they are up to with their list, I have done this myself, re-calling a client I only just spoke to with the same sales pitch! It’s worth saving yourself this embarrassment just for the sake of paying attention and making a few notes in a system, not just a pad you might lose.
4. If you call an automated system, press zero, it is usually a default for reception, if that doesn’t work and you are forced to listen to the whole menu of options, make a note of the option number for the next call so you will save time.
5. Tape the phone to your hand! Well that’s just metaphorically speaking. The point is, just start phoning and keep at it, just promise you will do a chunk of an hour to start, no matter what, it is so easy to do anything but make the calls you know matter.
6. Always address your prospects by their title, i.e. Mr Jones, using first names on a cold call can appear to be over-familiar, I have been caught out a couple of times and learned very early its title first, until rapport is built between you.
7. Listen, Listen, Listen! So many sales people miss this one, on the phone doing their script and not listening carefully to the response. Missing vital info and buying signals. Try repeating each word your prospect is saying in your head very shortly after they have said it. It is a good discipline to make sure you are using your ears and mouth in the right order.
8. Stay off the radar. Simply getting more chances to be put through to a prospect by not alerting the gatekeeper to who you are. If the prospect is not there, just quickly say you’ll call later thanks, and off you go. I wouldn’t usually leave a message until at least a good number of attempts to get through.
9. Be persistent. Try varying your call patterns, call later, call early, call on a Friday afternoon, don’t buy in to the myth that there are times of the day not worth calling, making appointments is like fishing. I have often abandoned a fishing location, only to see another angler come in exactly the same place and get a full net! Technique and belief are what matters.
10. Get it out quickly. Prospects hate a drawling delivery, say it quick and keep it sharp, not too quick, but just at a good pace, get to the point early, ask for what you want.
11. When speaking avoid filler words like er, erm, y’know, they are diluting your delivery and make you sound clumsy. Just be aware of what you are saying and ‘kill the fill’ You will get more appointments.
12. If not now when? Both if your prospect is not available, or if your prospect has said there is a chance of an appointment, just not yet. Why is now not a good time? When will be better? Can we pencil that in the diary?
13. Have your diary at the ready, with a good idea of how many appointments you are going to make. If your diary is not even open in your drawer, you are just programming yourself to believe you aren’t going to make any meetings. Have a positive expectation of the appointments, how many, and when you are going to schedule them.
14. As Henry Ford Said: “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right either way.” Think positive, take rejection and learn – It’s not personal, enjoy it, it’s made you stronger! Develop a formidable mental attitude, read motivational books.
15. When you close on an appointment, confirm the details carefully, get the date right, confirm by email, offer that if the prospect wishes to make any changes, they can feel free to. It will demonstrate you are a professional, and not make the prospect feel trapped and closed on.
Phil Ashforth is Managing Director of Apple Creative Design, a design agency offering graphic design for print and web based in Preston, UK. The agency also provides marketing consultancy to complement their range design services Look at his work on http://www.apple-design.com
Incoming search terms for the article:
- how to book appointments over the phone (105)
- telecalling script appointment (81)
- how to fix an appointment through phone (63)
- how to get appointments over the phone (52)
- how to take an appointment on phone (43)
- how to take appointment on phone (41)
- how to make an appointment on the phone (38)
- how to get an appointment over the phone (38)
- how to make appointments by telephone (37)
- how to sell a product on phone (36)
- how to make an appointment by phone (32)
- how to fix an appointment through mail (30)
- how to sell an appointment (27)
- how to fix appointment through phone (26)
- selling the appointment (24)
- how to sell an appointment over the phone (24)
- how to get sales appointments over the phone (23)
- how to fix an appointment with client (23)
- getting the appointment on the phone (22)
- how to sell the appointment (22)
- how to make appointments over the phone (22)
- fixing an appointment (21)
- making sales appointments by telephone (21)
- how to confirm an appointment by phone (20)
- how to book appointment on phone (17)
- how to get appointment on phone (17)
- cold calling for appointments (17)
- HOW TO FIX AN APPOINTMENT (16)
- how to fix appointments (16)
- how to sell over the phone tips (16)
- how to call for an appointment (16)
- how to schedule an appointment over the phone (16)
- making an appointment on the phone (14)
- how to call for appointment (14)
- what to say when making an appointment (13)
- how to sell a product over the phone (13)
- telephonic appointment (13)
- fixing an appointment with a client (12)
- taking an appointment sample (12)
- how to sale a product on phone (12)
- how to make appointment by phone (12)
- how to make appointment on phone (11)
- making appointments on the phone (11)
- how to sell appointments over the phone (11)
- make appointment email sample (10)
- how to sell through phone (10)
- how to make an appointment through phone (10)
- appointment conversation (10)
- how to fix an appointment on phone (6)
- how to book appointments on the phone (5)
- how to make appointments on the phone (5)
- appointment selling (4)
- selling appointments (3)
- how to get appoinment through codl call (2)
- sample of selling a product over the pheon (2)
- items to remember when making a cold call (2)
- how to get a sales appointment via email (2)
- how to convert phone call to appointment maley (2)
- tips when calling to schedule an appointment (1)
- tips on how to get a patient appointment via telephone (1)
- what to say as a confirmation appt (1)
- tips on gettinga sales appointment via phone (1)
- tips for setting an appointment over the phone (1)
- WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN CALLING TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT (1)
- phone call to make an appointment (1)
- what to say in making an appointment? (1)
- how to say brief appointments via phone (1)
- how to schedule an appointment on the phone (1)
- winning appointments with phone calls (1)
- how to schedule an appointment to make a pitch (1)
- how to schedule appointments over the phone (1)
- what to say when you are calling to confirm appointments (1)
- what to say when selling a product over the phone (1)
- what to say when calling for appointment (1)
- things to say when taking a call (1)
- telephone script sample to get appointment (1)
- telephone appointment to bring in product samples (1)
- phone scripts for to get appointments with marketing directors (1)
- phone tips to schedule appointments (1)
- phone call appointments (1)
- phone to confirm the appointment (1)
- roofing appointment scripts (1)
- sample for taking appointment on calls (1)
- placing an order phone call example (1)
- making a call conversation script (1)
- MAKE SALES APPOINTMENT BY CALL (1)
- scripting for pre-approved visa cold calls (1)
- scriptr for better appointment on calls (1)
- selling the appointment over the phone (1)
- some things to say when selling over the phone (1)
- example of how to give a confirmation appointment via phone call (1)
- techniques how to set appointment over the phone (1)
- telecalling script for costumer appointment (1)
- how to set up sales appointments over phone (1)
- phone pitch to take appointmen (1)
- appointment making on the phone (1)
- example phone scripts to get an appointment (1)
- fastest way to fix appointment (1)
- fix appointment from cold market (1)
- fixing an appointment through phone (1)