How to Build Rapport in 7 Seconds!
I had my first official sales training by a man who believed in being very assertive, almost pushy. At the time this conflicted with my reserved nature, and for the next 6 months didn’t even make one sale.
I knew I had to change my approach. Meanwhile I realised there were two sales I had to make, first myself, so that my customer “believed” what I might have to say or recommend, then the second sale was the actual service I was providing.
By this understanding I started to work on building rapport. The system I created was so effective I was stunned. Customers would buy virtually anything and everything I recommended. I knew my system worked!
I then proceeded to teach other people in other industries, selling everything from new kitchens to carpet cleaning, from blinds to jewellery and the system worked, beyond my wildest expectations.
The “system” is based on this principle from Dale Carnegie’s book, How to Win Friends and Influence People…
People are 10,000 times more interested in themselves than they are in you (or your product or service).
Too often in sales the sales person asks a few questions to learn more about their customers interests, then with that knowledge makes some recommendations. Then the sales person does the usual thing of “trying to close the sale”.
This process is flawed for numerous reasons. First of all the sales person hasn’t usually earned the right to talk or give an opinion as they haven’t established the first sales step, selling themselves so they earn the right to speak and to recommend.
If you have enough rapport with a customer and I mean as much rapport as you would have with a friend of 10 years, then the customer will “trust” you and your opinion. What typically happens is the sales person creates their own objections by making recommendations too soon before enough rapport was established.
No one likes an opinionated person and this is typically the trap that sales people fall into, not building enough rapport before making a recommendation.
So how you do build massive rapport, in as little as 7 seconds?
The best method I teach others to use is understanding the persons DISC Profile. DISC profiles have been around since 1920 when Dr Marston observed people’s behaviour falling into 4 different categories.
These being… outgoing and task orientated, outgoing and people orientated, task orientated and reserved and people orientated and reserved.
What that means is around 50% of the population are task orientated and about 50% are people orientated. Also that 50% of people are outgoing and 50% are reserved.
By understanding these figures I learned that by being friendly with a customer you could be annoying them as 50% of people are task orientated people that are annoyed by friendly sales people. They don’t feel any need to like the person they buy from.
While the other 50% of the population are people that need to like the person they buy from or they won’t buy from them on principle. You’d be amazed at how accurate this is, ask your partner or friends about it if you don’t believe me and you’ll see that it’s very true.
Now the secret to building rapport is to be friendly, if they are a friendly or people orientated person. Stop trying to be friendly if they are not reciprocating. It takes time to learn this skill, it took me about 6 months to pick which DISC profile a person is accurately and consistently.
Once I learned this, the rewards were unbelievable. Even without knowing how to “close the sale” I had customers wanting to buy from me saying things like ‘how do we work together’, ‘how do we get started’, ‘when can we start’, all before they knew the price of my service! I found myself needing to say, ‘do you mind if I outline the investment before we start?’
With this technique I realised I had created a selling system of “how not to get objections”, where you simply don’t get objections! This is in contrast to trying to overcome objections written about in dozens of sales books. Rapport is the key and you build rapport when you’re listening, not when you’re talking.
Obviously there’s a lot more to this system than I can talk about here, in fact its a whole book full of information, but understanding a persons DISC profile is the most powerful thing you can learn in sales, as you are learning how to communicate with people in their own language.
There’s another step to selling with DISC profile, which is to sell to outgoing versus reserved people.
However that’s a lot more involved that space permits here.
Try to learn more about DISC profiles and study it. You can get to the stage where you can pick a persons profile in less than 7 seconds, even on the phone! When you know a person’s DISC profile and communicate using it the rewards are fantastic.
Tim Stokes knowledge on DISC profiles, sales and building rapport is almost unfathomable, some who listen to him speak in seminars can even find it scary! Hundreds of Tim’s clients have used his DISC profile information to increase sales by up to 357% in 30 days while other businesses have increased conversion rates from 2.5% to 75% with 3 price rises! There are testimonials after testimonials confirming Tim’s understanding of DISC profiles produce some of the best business growth results you will ever see.
Tim has much more condensed information on DISC profiles for building rapport, management and also recruitment. This information is available and is now part of The Business Freedom Workshop Series. To find out much more about DISC and one of the world’s most advanced and fully systemised business building programs go to the Business Freedom number one web site for small business development
Incoming search terms for the article:
- how to build rapport over the phone (361)
- building rapport over the phone (222)
- how to build rapport with customers over the phone (132)
- recruitment call script (111)
- rapport statements (104)
- rapport building statements (97)
- overcoming objections over the phone (87)
- building rapport with customers over the phone (86)
- cold calling tips for recruiters (73)
- how to build rapport with clients (71)
- recruitment cold calling script (56)
- recruitment sales script (54)
- cold calling recruiting scripts (53)
- How to build rapport (52)
- sample rapport (51)
- overcoming objections over phone (44)
- building rapport statements (41)
- building rapport with clients (37)
- cold calling scripts for recruiters (37)
- overcoming objections in recruitment (35)
- building rapport on the phone (34)
- rapport samples (34)
- recruiting scripts free (32)
- how to overcome objections over the phone (28)
- recruitment cold calling (25)
- rapport building questions for sales (24)
- cold calling recruitment (23)
- free cold calling scripts that work (23)
- how to build rapport in sales (22)
- recruiter cold calling scripts (22)
- how to build rapport with customers (21)
- calling script for recruiter (20)
- sample of rapport (20)
- examples of building rapport (20)
- rapport sample (20)
- auto insurance sales scripts (19)
- building rapport with customers examples (19)
- recruiting sales scripts (19)
- overcoming objections in insurance sales (18)
- cold call recruiting scripts (18)
- Auto insurance Cold Calling Scripts (18)
- Sales Scripts Overcoming Objections (17)
- recruiting call script (17)
- overcoming objections on the phone (17)
- insurance cold calling scripts (17)
- how to build rapport on the phone (16)
- sales building rapport over the phone (16)
- recruiter cold call script (16)
- how to close a sale over the phone (16)
- how to make a recruitment call (15)
- examples of rapport (15)
- overcoming objections in phone sales (15)
- building rapport over the phone with customers (15)
- recruiter cold calling tips (14)
- car sales cold call script (13)
- rapport building on calls (13)
- rapport examples (13)
- sample rapport with customers (12)
- cold calling techniques for recruiters (12)
- sample rapport statements (12)
- recruitment sales pitch (11)
- recruiting cold calling script (11)
- cold calling script for recruitment (11)
- ways to build rapport over the phone (10)
- how to build repore (10)
- how to create rapport with customers (10)
- build rapport cold calling (4)
- Building Rapport with customers over phone (4)
- free recruiting scripts (3)
- build rapport on the phone in 30 seconds (2)
- build rapport on the phone (2)
- Great rapport building questions on a cold call (2)
- rapport building on the phone (2)
- Recruitment Cold calls script (2)
- recruting sales script (2)
- cold call sales script for recruitment ads (2)
- rapport scripts (2)
- cold calling script for recruiting (2)
- vb recruiting cold script (1)
- what to say when calling for a sale on auto insurance (1)
- sales building rapport tips (1)
- sales call for recruiters (1)
- what are some good report building questions car sales (1)
- trapping script handling objections (1)
- Sample of action research about establishing rapport (1)
- what are good results for cold call recruitment replies (1)
- sales diolog on first sales call (1)
- Recruiting Script for cold calling (1)
- Recruiting Script for Insurance Agency (1)
- recruting call scripts (1)
- sales rapport on first call (1)
- sample of rapport lines (1)
- building rapport scripts (1)
- sample script for recruitment sales (1)
- search consultant sales script (1)
- recruiting scripts sample (1)
- telephone recruitment scripts (1)
- sample of building rapport (1)
- scripts for recruiting by phone (1)
- telephone scripts for seminar recruiting (1)